I did a set of these last night in place of my usual Kenpo workout and let me tell you they work!
Tony has you do something similar in the IntervalX+ workout and he calls them Carlito Three Way Push ups but you only do them for one minute (twice) in that workout. With Burpees, the idea is to do a set of ten, rest for a minute, then do a set of nine, rest another minute, do a set of eight, etc., right down to doing a set of one.
You should be able to the full rotation in less than 15 minutes. By the time I got down to five reps I decided to shorten the rest period to 30 seconds. Then at the end I decided to throw in a final set of 10 to bring the total to 65 reps. It's a great interval workout that combines strength training with cardio exercise.
So how do you do a Burpee?
- Start in a standing position with your hands over your head
- Squat down and place your hands on the floor
- Jump back to plank (push up position)
- Do a push up
- Jump your feet to your hands (so you are in a squatting position again)
- Jump up in the air with your hands over your head
Mike Rowe from the Discovery Channel show Dirty Jobs has a good video demonstrating this technique: